Friday, August 30, 2013

The fine line between business and friendship

Anyone in this business knows that we all take our steps into this business with friends usually.  We find our lifelong friends or people we grow to know as friends and make our way into music together.  Most of the time the line between friendship and business is hard to distinguish.  Most people are unable to separate the decisions made for the benefit of the group or business from personal feelings if things don't work out.  This is the case for Black Project and I today. 

I am not going to dive into great detail but will say that some business I had outside of the group has been rough.  I had trusted friends to let me vent when things were not going the best.  Due to this my friend felt the need to approach the other party in that other business.  I talked with that party last night and let them know I wasn't happy my friend took it upon himself to write and get into business that wasn't his own, even though I understood he was just trying to look out for me as a friend.  This whole series of events led to a huge disagreement between them.  I refused to take sides and in the end Black Project felt by me not taking sides I was not taking their side.  Then made the decision to not keep me as their manager.

While I did not want that to happen I cannot stop them from making that decision.  So I made a public announcement stating that they were released from Wicked Butterfly Entertainment due to professional disagreements, because to me that is what it is.  I have nothing but respect for Black Project and wish them the best in all they do in the future.  I have at every turn put my own money up to pay for studio time, demo pressing, and other expenses and allowed them to pay me back at their leisure.  I never pressed them to get me the money back immediately as I understood their circumstances.  I have taken a lot of my time, energy, and finances to help them be successful.  In return today one of them went on a twenty minute rant saying I did nothing for them, held them back, and hurt their career.  I am really sorry he feels this way as this is the first time I have heard they were not happy.  Our management contract was a six month contract the ended officially at the beginning of January and I have not pressed them to renew it, so I have been providing my services for nothing but our friendship.  I have put up my own funds in this time to mix and master tracks for them to have for shows they had coming up.

I cannot change how anyone feels but I can say that I have acted in a professional manner in the best interest of Black Project for over a year.  I have gained absolutely nothing for myself financially.  At this point I have lost money I have put into the group. 

I will not ever attack them personally as I have no issue with them on the personal side of things.  Business wise I am upset they feel like I screwed them over but once again I will not say anything negative about them.  Part of being in business is understanding that not every bad thing that happens is personal.  Sometimes people are mad because that line gets crossed.  Sometimes people involve themselves in dealing that they have no involvement in except to be a friend to one or more of the parties.

It is a hard lesson for people to learn or see happen and I wish nothing but the best for my homies in Black Project.  I am always here if they need advice or to vent as unlikely as that may be.

Keep business as business and friends as friends.  Make sure you don't blur the lines and think business decisions are anything but just that.

MMFWFL,

Juggalotus

No comments:

Post a Comment