Friday, December 6, 2013

Turmoil and changes

  Many long term established groups and record labels in the music business have begun to break apart this year.  We have seen Twiztid and Blaze leave Psychopathic Records, we are seeing the downfall of Psychopathic Records due to horrible business decisions, Daddy X and the Kottonmouth Kings leave Subnoize Records, and Johnny Richter leave the Kottonmouth Kings and release an album on Subnoize.  So why is this in my mind right now?  Well I got an email today and will be adding another interview to my 20 Min with.. series on Youtube with none other than Johnny Richter himself when he rolls through Tempe on Dec 15.  He did give an interview to Faygoluvers where he answered questions fans had submitted online and that cleared up a lot of his side of the story.  By doing my interview I can ask expanding questions to hopefully clarify more about that situation. 

  It is sad to me that all of these situations have to do with two things, power and money.  Let me make my points here before you guys hang me.

1. While Twiztid has been unable to say anything about why they left Psychopathic these themes seem to be universal in people that left the label.  Violent J is too controlling with production and all things involved with recording and performing, they wont pay any other act on the label what they are worth, and the only group getting 100% production and promotion time is ICP.  Violent J and Billy should have done everything to make Twiztid stay.  They should have promoted them better, gave them a bigger cut of the money off their albums, and made them bigger decision makers in the label.  But the money and power that those 2 guys couldn't let go helped make that decision easy for Jaime and Paul.  I think all of these things contributed to Twiztid deciding it was better to walk away.

2. Psychopathic's business decisions are killing the label.  We have seen them allow Twiztid leave when Twiztid was in my opinion the #1 group on the label.  They have stripped everything they built away from the "Family"  Violent J and Billy have made Psychopathic into a money machine that uses it's fans.  Sure we have seen in the past 3 different covers of albums (Melinko and Riddlebox), but those were made in small numbers and made to be a collectable for the fans.  Now we get 5 different versions of albums mass produced and each one has 1 or 2 new tracks to entice people to buy them.  Then about a year or so later they re-release the same 3-4 albums in a huge box set with another "version" to get people to buy another copy of all the albums.  In the past we saw them give away things to the fans, show love without buying the VIP pass for the shows, and basically present themselves as Juggalos themselves.  Now we see that was just a ruse to gain a huge ravenous fan base to use for profit.  They have become the big record label tycoons they told all of us they never would become.  Last year's Gathering saw them cut checks to vendors, police departments, and Hogrock that all haven't cleared.  I think this is why this year's Gathering is being moved to another place.  I predict in the next 5-7 years we will see the end of the label.

3. KMK split from Subnoize Records with Daddy X claiming that they were the first of many groups we would see leave Kevin Zinger due to his "Shady business tactics."  Since the split was released we have seen no other groups leaving the label.  On top of that we now have Johnny Richter leaving KMK and making another album with Zinger on Subnoize.  The more we hear Daddy X whine and complain the more their fans turn on the group.  We still don't have all the facts but it is becoming very clear that Daddy X is falling on the losing side of the debate.  I hope to be able to get some more clarification in the next week when I get a chance to talk with Richter and review his solo tour.

So as you can see all of these situations were because of shady business practices, refusal to give up power, or greed.  I will always be a Juggalo.  I will always love music and be willing to listen and review anything people send me.  I will always speak my mind and give a 100% honest opinion on the albums, situations, and other things in the business.  No one will ever make me tone down my honesty.  I hate coming on here and talking about negative things.  In this case I am so tired of seeing these great movements and groups dismantle and disappear while nobody is willing to stand up for the fans and say enough is enough.  We deserve a little consideration and respect.

Respect is something that is earned in this community and these things make all of us wanna walk away.  Truth is I considered it myself.  But I feel like fighting for this because it means that much to me.  I have nothing but clown love for all my Juggalos and Juggalettes.  I have mad respect for Twiztid, Johnny Richter, and Subnoize Records.

MMFWFL,

Juggalotus


No comments:

Post a Comment