Thursday, June 7, 2012

First ever reader submitted artist for review, Mr?E

  On Facebook yesterday I asked for anyone to send me mix tapes, links, etc and I would give an honest review of what I listened to.  Well a guy named Benjamin Michaels wrote to me and wanted me to review his homie Mr?E's music off reverb.  Mr?E was at last years Gathering and will be performing on the second stage at this years Gathering of the Juggalos.

Here is a brief history of the artist:

Mr?E is an upcoming artist from Kenai/Wasilla Alaska. He has been rapping since he was 14 perfecting his style of various genres of rap,In 2010 he moved to North California to further pursue his rap career, Mr?E now records in Sacramento CA and has gone full boar on his music and remains unsigned for now...

Now on his Reverb account he has 7 tracks to listen to. So here is the list and my thought from a manager/producers standpoint:

1. STFU Feat Dejangles- Overall this track is very well produced and written.  I had my reservations due to the fact the track name is identical to one of my favorite Potluck tracks, but it is nothing like that.  This track has a very catchy hook, great lyrics, nice beats, and shows he has obvious comfort on the mic.  It has a Juggalo family oriented theme while being a self promotion track.  All in all a good first track to listen to.

2. Young Wild and Free Feat. Mamalette- This is his remake of the popular Wiz Khalifa track Feat Snoop Dogg.  The biggest problem I have with this track is it's lack of originality.  He jacks the music and modified the lyrics, but I do not know if he got authorization to do so, and I have issue with that.  While it is a nice change of pace from the first track I wish he had created his own track, music, and hook.

3. W4 (Waging War With Words)- The beats in this track are banging.  I love the hook.  Once again a very self promotion track which is alright as long as that's not all you rap about.  Rap needs to say something, speak from the heart.  The hook has great energy but the verses themselves could use the same level of energy.  They fell flat in comparison.

4. Stop- This track has an awesome piano lead in which sets up verses containing quick but legible rhymes.  That is important because some people can rap fast but if the listener cannot understand what is being said the lyric will fall on deaf ears.  This is not one of those tracks.  Great vibe and levels make this very enjoyable.

5. Spuratic- This is the shortest track on the page and unfortunately falls into the category I just talked about.  He is rapping a million miles a minute and I can't understand a single word of it.

6. Doin Great- This track has a very feel good vibe to it.  It starts out with an old school backing and music and continues throughout the track.  The lyrics are nice and clear and the music totally sells the track.  Great song.

7. Get Down- Next to Spuratic this is my least favorite track on the page.  Great beat but that is the highlight.  The lyrics are lackluster and the verses lack any energy what-so-ever. 

  All in all Mr?E is worth a listen.  I think his style would appeal to a wide variety of listeners.  Nice to see an underground rapper who isn't afraid to take chances with tracks like Doin Great.  I also like the fact he has a mix of fast paced lyrics and slower stuff as well.  It shows he has good diversity and ability.  As for recommendation, I would say check him out http://www.reverbnation.com/Enonomuss



MMFWCL,


 Juggalotus
 Wicked Butterfly Entertainment
















http://www.reverbnation.com/enonomuss

No comments:

Post a Comment