Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Money or Love

  I had an interesting conversation with an artist last night and it got me thinking.  This guy was willing to drop everything at a moments notice to get on a bus and go anywhere in the US to perform a show.  He said it and I really didn't think to much at the time but since we talked it really hit me, this guy must love what he is doing.  Which brings me to the point of the blog, Are people in the music business for love or money?  I know it is the age old question but I think if people truely love it both can happen.

  There are so many rappers/musicians out now that it seems hard to find a "real" artist.  By real I mean someone who isn't in it for that one huge hit to make a fortune and then put out crap the rest of their career (Most studio-made rappers coming out now).  I mean the guy who is on the grind daily. Willing to work a fulltime job during the day, hit the studio at night, and in between find time to go inside themselves to write music from their heart.  Plenty of rappers go to their home studio daily, record meaningless track after track, and release a monthly free mixtape.  They spend all their energy focused on the wrong things and never really go inside themselves to write from the heart.  One of the major things that draws people to your music is the fact they connect emotionally to what you are saying.  Yes I do understand you have to have the "fun" thoughtless track (Who let the dogs out, Whoop there it is, etc) but if all you are making is fluff music you will never gain that huge following you want.  If I think back to the great tracks from when I was growing up I immediately think of tracks like F*** the police and Keep ya head up  Why do these stand out, well they say something!  They have a purpose and meaning.  They were written from experience and from the heart.  Outside of rap you have groups like Staind who write songs that hit those heartstrings and transport you to the place they were when it was written.  Those songs stick with us.

  I have had a lot of artists hit me up wanting me to check out their music and help them promote what they are doing.  I listen to each and every one and am willing to work with anyone if I feel like they have something good and meaningful to give the music business.  If I listen to a track and it sounds fake or not "real" I am not going to help you promote your stuff.  I have said several times in my blog here that if you want honesty hit me up.  People need to start being honest with themselves and anyone else who asks for their opinion.  If your music is not good I am gonna tell you.  If there is potential and I can tell you have the drive I am gonna tell you too.  Why is this so important?  Well if I put my integrity behind a project and it fails, I fail.  If I take on an artist who doesn't have the drive or will to succeed, I won't succeed.  We are all in the business to make money.  Sure I could back every artist that hits me up and promote the hell out of em but in the end I would not be giving it my heart!  There it is!  Just like those who make music the promoters/managers/bookers all have to have give heart and believe in the projects too.  If not everyone involved will fail.

  What would you rather have money or love?  I say when it comes to music you can have both.  Don't sell yourself short.  Don't go to the studio if you have nothing to say.  Don't be afraid to dig into painful, happy, sad, fun, awesome memories to write your music.  If your genre is horrocore and you can't dig the inner psycho out of yourself it comes across as fake.  Don't be afraid to write the next track which shows you have a softer side, people appreciate the diversity in music.  All you musicians are people too, don't get caught up in living and looking like a superstar.  If you are true to yourself you will get everything you want.  You will not have to choose between love for music and making money.  If you are Real with people you will be successful.  No one is ever successful by being fake or screwing other people.

I am outta here!

Juggalotus



No comments:

Post a Comment