Thursday, January 26, 2012

T.O.N.E.-Z Interview

So I finally got a chance to interview T.O.N.E.-Z.  I can say he has been super approachable, open, and down to earth guy while we have been setting this up.  For those who don't know he is an Emmy nominated rapper for the making of the theme song for the hit show Justified on FX!  He is the first ever rapper nominated in that category, so that alone makes this guy awesome!  I want to take this opportunity to thank T.O.N.E.-Z for taking his time out to answer my questions.  Here is what he had to say:




1.     For the new fan of your music, can you give us a quick breakdown of your career and where it all started?

I started "rapping" at the age of nine. I got my 1st record deal with Select Records in the early 90's and released my first album, "In Tone We Trust," under the name "Style." It sold over 300,000 copies, and the rest is history!

2.     You have listed a lot of classic rock as being one of your influences, did you consider going into that genre instead of rap?

Yes, I love metal, alternative, etc... I just love live instruments.  There's more passion in the music when it’s played live, so I will be doing more of that.

3.     What music are you bumping in your ride right now?

I'm in NYC so there's no need for a ride, lol, but I play the classic hip hop: Public Enemy, Big Daddy Kane, etc… Plus Oasis, Alanis, Metallica, The Doors, Queen.

4.     How do you think your music influences your fan base?

My fans feel my lyrics and passion in a way that's hard to describe.  I have fans who tell me my lyrics changed their lives and stopped them from committing suicide.  So I'd say the key word is "influence."  I'm grateful if one person connects with my music.

5.     You have really done a lot of work bridging the gap between mainstream and the underground.  Do you think the mainstream is ready for groups like Twiztid or ICP to pop off?  And of all the artists on Psychopathic, who do you think would best translate into a more mainstream fan base?

Yes, I am the first to bridge the gap between mainstream hip hop, underground and Hollywood, and I did it without buying my way into the mainstream.  I come from that market, but I was way too raw and lyrical.  But once the wicked underground heard me, they embraced me, and the love is mutual. As far as who would be accepted in the mainstream from Psychopathic, I'd say Monoxide, hands down! (Dude got flow, voice and lyrics.)

6.     You have been to several Gatherings.  Can we expect to see you hitting the stage there in the future?

Hmmmm will you?... Time will tell! lolol

7.     It is common knowledge that Twiztid loves comic books, are there any favorite comics in your collection?

Every and ALL Spiderman Comics!! Btw, I have over 300 mint condition comics!

8.     Ice Cube has taken a lot of criticism for not “grooming” any new West Coast rappers.  He feels like the younger generation is not “worthy” based on their abilities.  Do you think the godfathers of rap like him, Snoop, Dre, Jay-z, etc, should take a more active role in the grooming process?

Nope! I'd say let these talented young poets learn the same way we did: Get out there and prove yourself.

9.     A lot of rappers started in battles.  Did you participate in any rap battles growing up?

What?!! That's how I started and all I used to do. But I'm more of a "face to face" battle mc; I don’t feel the "hide behind mp3" diss song tactic shows any real skill.  We never know if the diss track was written by the artist or ghost written.  But if we're face to face and on the spot—THEN THE REAL SKILLS SHINE! I've done one diss track, but it was more of a spoof and was just me laughing and having fun.  If you're a real mc, go toe to toe and let’s get it poppin!

10.  We just passed Friday the 13th.  Do you have any superstitions?

None

11. Do you think that artists like yourself, Tech Nine, and others have made the underground a more accepted part of the rap community?

Yep, Tech is a monster and I still think he's way too underrated. There are not many artists other than Busta, KRS1, Dougie Fresh, or LL who can match Tech’s stage show.

12. By embracing the Juggalo community, you open yourself up for haters.  Have you had any experience with that since working with ICP?

Yep!! But mostly from other underground artists, and it’s because they feel they've been in the underground for over 10 years and can barely open up for Psy artists in their own city.  But all the ‘los and ‘lettes show me crazy love and I love them right back! Me and Violent J kicked and he's a good dude; me and ABK are good pplz; Daddy X is straight too.

13. What are your feelings on Juggalos being added to the F.B.I.’s gang list?

The F.B.I. must not have cable in their office or are just plain bored, because that right there is the true meaning of "Hate" & "Stupidity".

14. How did you get hooked up with ICP and Psychopathic?

My big homie George from Purple Hash recognized my success and we kick it on the reg, so we do a lot of biz together. Plus like I said, they all good dudes up there, so be clear: we will be bringing some heat in 2012!!

15. What can we expect from T.O.N.E.-Z in 2012?

My new album High Voltage is out now and of course, the 3rd season of Justified is on FX every Tuesday night at 10pm eastern.  A few tours, mixtapes, the works!

16. Any final thoughts for the Family?

Much love to every juggalo and juggalette on the planet earth; I appreciate all the love and support! Stay Wicked!! And I want to thank you for the interview, big homie!

Once again I want to thank him for taking the time.  Keep your eyes peeled as there are more interviews heading your way in the near future.


MMFWCL,
  Juggalotus


No comments:

Post a Comment